Tuesday, July 12, 2011

money or currency?

Sunday, I finished reading the book "The Guide to Investing in Gold & Silver" by Michael Maloney. Great read & some enlightening information about the US & in some parts, the world's currency. This book defines currency as "... a medium of exchange that you can use to purchase something that has value, what we would call an asset." Money, on the other hand is defined as always currency since money has value in and of itself. In other words, the actual paper of the $100 bill is NOT as valuable as what the paper says it is. The paper currency has value only because we (globally) have agreed that it has value even though it's just paper. Real money has value - always. Gold & silver is real money (yes, it's another agreement but this fact has stood the test of time).
It's shocking to realize the fact that our money is not backed by anything anymore (once it was backed by gold) & that we (every single person) constantly creates currency almost daily. Ok, perhaps not every single person but certain anyone who has a credit card. The bank allows us a limit on our credit cards of currency we are allowed to create. Every time we sign on the dotted line (or enter our PIN), we create the currency we have just signed for. Now, if we do not pay back this currency (which is actually just a book entry) by the specified date, the bank is allowed to charge us ludicrous interest on the currency we created. Neat huh?

365-304a

I bought some money today for the first time in my life. It's weird to own it actually. I/we have been trained to think that the paper I/we always carried around is the real deal. It isn't. It's so under valued, it's scary. Let's see what happens to our currency & see what happens with gold & silver. Chances are, the precious metals will be victorious. They always have. I do my best not to live in the past but in this case I am paying attention.

No comments:

Post a Comment