Friday, June 24, 2011

backgrounds

I seriously have no idea what to do for backgrounds. I am so focused on the main subject that the background seems insignificant but it SO is not. Grrr...
I have been told to look at other artists & see what they do. I guess I should do that more. Basically, the backgrounds are typically pretty basic if it's a lone subject - from what it seems. I better sort it out before I start on the baby portrait.

I went sketching with my sister again today. The morning was to be the nicest weather-wise & it was (well, so far anyway). At around noon, the storm clouds started rolling in. I was done & packing up by then anyway - thankfully!

We went to Reader Gardens to draw flowers. I was in the mood for flowers & it was my turn to pick location. The mosquitos really bothered my sister yet I don't think I have a single bite! Awesome.

I set myself up near some tulips. I considered drawing irises but they were too little & I didn't think that they would turn out as well as something larger considering I planned to use either soft pastels or oil pastels. In the end, I used oil pastels.
Some progress shots (the drawing I started with turned out too dark to really see well).



This is the final piece. Not sure why I chose yellow as a background but I did. There was lots of green behind the tulips but that would have made them a bit lost, I thought. These tulips were not side by side like this shows. I wanted two together & these were the best to draw.

365-286 ph
This is an image from my S95 camera taken at the gardens. I did scan it in but that image turned out too bright. Weird.

No comments:

Post a Comment