Monday, December 27, 2010

joint effort

As most of you know, I use my left hand occasionally to draw with & as I determined last week, using it for watercolour may not be the best idea due to lack of patience on my part. Well, for this painting, I did use both hands - predominately my right but the left hand did its part. I found it easier to use my left when something was angled in such a way that my left hand had the advantage. I will admit, the left is a bit shakier but it certainly helps to be able to use both hands.

It took me three days to do this painting. I did not take progress shots since the quick layout I did on Friday night was too faint to capture & Saturday I ended with a really odd beige/orange colour on the left building that I knew I was changing (painting over) when I worked on it next. I finished it today. I took a day off from it yesterday (I will post that dwg next).

This is painted from a photograph I took in New York a few weeks ago. This is labelled cool building on my Flickr account. It is a restaurant on East 42 Street near where we stayed. I saw that it was a restaurant one day when I was walking on the same side of the street & could see inside (this may have been the same day I took this shot).
I only have 6 colours of paint plus white so all colours are made from the 2 reds, 2 blues, 2 yellows & white I have. Oh, I did use a silver metallic paint - used for faux finishing my living room wall - for the metal on the front buildings only.

I have the photo next to the painting (both taped to drafting board) & when I look at it from the hall, the painting looks really good & I walk up to it & it still looks good! (:

365-104,5,7

I just replaced the original photo I took of this painting. Much better!

No comments:

Post a Comment