Last night in class we did self portraits with soft pastels. I did not complete mine & likely won't since I really don't have somewhere to set up a mirror near my desk. I suppose you never know though.
Well, I have to say I'm impressed. This actually looks like me. Wow. I started with a very light colour to site my face then added the darker tone as the shadows. The nose was really bugging me so he suggested adding an even darker tone (blue/purple) to define the location of the actual nostril. That totally helped. I wanted more time with this but we were at the end of class.
I stepped back from it many times & it's funny how you just focus on one thing (nose) when my chin was too long! I erased it & brought it up to where it is now. Much better.
I'll do another one soon but likely with graphite, charcoal or conté. Just finish one in monochromatic first then move onto colour.

No comments:
Post a Comment