Sunday, April 10, 2011

on blue

For my class on Wednesday, we had to draw in the style of one of three artists. I don't have the names of the artists in front of me but it doesn't really matter. One was Edgar Degas - which I already admire so I sort of used his style but not his subject matter. He drew many ballerinas & nudes with soft pastels & other mediums too for his black & 'white' drawings. I wanted to use colour again so that's why I chose him. Plus, using soft pastels in a studio space instead of my house is better since it's so messy & I don't have to worry about it on my floor that way!
Degas also drew on various colours of paper. This is why I used the only coloured sheet I had in my portfolio case & it was blue. I know my skin tone is more on the warm side (I have red tones in my skin) so I'm not entirely certain the blue was the best choice but it was all I had. All around, it turned out well - skin tone-wise. I drew my hand since I did not bring anything to actually draw & I did not want to do a self-portrait.
365-207

My fingers were bent & it was tough to really show it. I couldn't get the fingers to really look bent except for my pinky finger. My fingers are perhaps a bit skinny compared to my palm. That's ok. I recall being VERY tired that day so that always has a factor on how I draw.

No comments:

Post a Comment