Friday, April 29, 2011

gestures

Wednesday evening was my last drawing class of last term. I have not signed up for anything for the spring & likely won't for the summer either. So the fall will be the next time I take a course. Maybe painting!

We were learning figure drawing. I have never been instructed for figures before so this (I thought) would be great. We started with gestures then more gestures & even more gestures. This happened since she did not give any instruction (only verbal) so lots of the class weren't 'getting it'. I have drawn figures before but I really wanted instruction. Finally she did a 'lesson' and let us at it again. It made more sense when she did the instruction. In either case, I still drew similar to how I always draw - the outline of the object then into details. Not what she said to do, I will admit. I am not including any gestures here. There wasn't anything to them & there were way too many of them in the end (too much paper!).

I'm including only my last few drawings that were not gestures. I was thankful for these at the end. My arm was quite tired!

365-228a
10 minutes
conté on cartridge paper

365-228b
20 minutes
conté on cartridge paper
I did not finish this one (above) but I liked how it was progressing & I liked the shape of her head.
365-228c
graphite in sketchbook - 7 minutes
I did another of this pose with conté on cartridge paper but it turned out too big for the sheet. I was annoyed since it was turning out well enough & almost didn't bother with this last one. This was the last pose of the class.

In the end, what is my take on the class? It was good even with the review items. I would have liked more instruction on certain things we were taught. I felt that at times we were learning on our own. The instructor did come around but we were given such a short lessen that sometimes the class was not clear as to what to do. I'd almost want to take a course by an instructor from the day class. My sister took one from a day instructor & she said they had lessons & sounds like more instruction.

No comments:

Post a Comment