Wednesday, May 25, 2011

mixed bag

We went to Cobá on the Tuesday. We rented a car instead of doing an excursion from the resort. Less expensive and it gave us more freedom. Only 7 of us went. I was the driver (not everyone brought their driver's licence with them). It was an hour away from our resort & we had planned to go to Tulum on the way back but that didn't happen.

There were some ruins there that were once used for a game. From how I understand it, the game was in teams, each having a captain, where they threw a ball (made of what, I don't know - maybe it was a coconut) through this hole - see image below - by only using their knees. The victorious team captain was awarded the privilege of chopping off the head of the losing team captain. Yikes! Not a game I'm interested in, thank you very much.
game
Cobá has the only ruin left (in the area at least) that you can still climb up. This is a decent shot showing the angle of the steps. The day was HOT & I took a couple breaks as I walked up.
at bottom

Not as easy as it may look. I think the rope was for the down not really for up. It was quite steep & the feeling of falling forward on the way down wouldn't be as bad by holding on to the rope since it was braced.

On the way back to the resort, I saw this woman cycling. Thankfully she had to stop at the same traffic light as we did. I had to get a shot of her on her bike in her 4 inch stilettos!
nice shoes
all about fashion, darlin'
It was Mexican night at the resort. In other words, the buffet had primarily Mexican food & there was entertainment in the lobby & there were vendors (like street vendors) so people could shop. It was all very colourful. (: Spanish people & areas are great for colour!
violin

No comments:

Post a Comment