So I 'get' charcoal. You can't just use it like graphite (pencil), you have to work it. In other words, leaving the line you get from a charcoal pencil is not what I'm supposed to do. I guess I need to re-visit my foot drawing from the other day.
In class, as suspected, we had to draw our origami piece. The reason he wanted origami is due to the fact that it has lots of flat surfaces so we can see tone. Tone. Ah! charcoal is about tone.
First things first, make a gradation chart for a guide (I won't have to do this again likely cuz I'll keep this one...somehow). Next was to use around a level 4 as a background. So then it came to the actual drawing of the origami. Most, if not all, of us started too small. He had me just blend in what I started with then start over. Drat. 'Sokay, I wasn't that far along anyway.
I ended up with a pretty good drawing. My gradation chart is off to the left. I will admit, I did draw it on the right (copying my instructor who is a lefty) and had to flip the page so I didn't smudge as I drew. Silly me. Good thing I noticed before I began drawing the actual origami.
Moral of this exercise, charcoal IS messy. (:

No comments:
Post a Comment