Thursday, March 24, 2011

go darker!

Last night's class we had to bring in a reflective object & a glass object to draw a still life showing texture. He had objects there that were actually textured to add to the mix. I don't have much in my place that's chrome (that's not attached to my bathroom walls or sink). Since that was the case, I found some Moen colour samples & there were a few that were highly reflective.
I set it up against the bag that carries all my loose pencils or drawing instruments to & from class. Everything I had was small so I need something larger. I taped one of the shiny objects to the bag to raise it up & left two others on the table. Well, you can see from the drawing so I'm not sure why I'm going into detail.
365-193
The point of this exercise was to draw things as they look. So smooth objects should be depicted smooth & not textured like say the driftwood. I had everything drawn the same & went in at the end & smoothed out the glass & reflective objects.
I initially drew everything too light & the instructor said to add more depth & darkness. If I was at home, I likely wouldn't have so thanks for that. It does look better with more contrast & depth.
365-193 close up

I photographed these both with my 70-200 2.8 L IS II lens using my umbrella set up for my flash. Much better than before with only my flash & the WAD down. Plus, no time spent in post processing either! Very cool.

No comments:

Post a Comment